Your business premises should be safe and secure under lock and key, which is why commercial locksmiths in the UK are crucial for business security systems. Keeping your business secure with a good security system helps to protect your assets and equipment, as well as keeping you and your employees safe.
Theft and burglary remain in the top five main crime types in England and Wales, affecting private residences as well as business properties. Commercial locksmiths in the UK provide many valuable services that can help keep business properties safe and sound.
Table of contents:
What is a commercial locksmith?
Locksmithing is an old (ancient, even) profession dating back thousands of years. Some of the oldest known evidence of locksmithing dates back to palatial gates in Nineveh, and it stands to reason that a good lock requires the craftsmanship of a locksmith. Although locksmithing has evolved significantly since then, it has also branched out from one common root to many different subdisciplines today.
Commercial locksmiths are a type of locksmith that speicalise in the installation, repair, and maintenance of business lock and key systems. In the UK, domestic and commercial locksmiths are often lumped together as “locksmiths” and they tend to be the first that come to mind, although many other specialised disciplines exist such as automotive locksmiths.
They are often referred to in the UK as simply locksmiths or as commercial locksmiths or business locksmiths and their services often overlap with the services provided by residential locksmiths.
Commercial lockout services
What type of service does a commercial locksmith provide? In the UK, business locksmiths provide a wide range of services, such as:
- Emergency lockout services: if you or one of your employees has lost or misplaced the keys to the business, 24/7 emergency services from a commercial locksmith can help to reenter the premises.
- Key cutting & duplication: locksmiths can create new and duplicate keys for your business.
- Door locks & deadbolts: installing and repairing door locks and deadbolts for key access points on the business premises.
- Security gates: provide controlled access on the exterior of your property with security gate and lock installation.
- Security grilles: install a protective security bar or grill on your windows. Includes bar grilles, collapsible grilles, and mesh grilles.
- Security shutters: closing up your business for the night? Commercial locksmiths can help install protective security shutters and locks on your windows and/or doors.
- Burglar alarm installation: supplying and installing security systems on commercial properties, such as CCTV systems and burglar alarms.
- Fire doors & door openers/closers: every business must have a fire risk assessment in place, which is why commercial locksmiths are increasingly providing businesses with secure fire doors as well as mechanical fire door opener & closer installation and repair services.
- Master key systems: for businesses with various locks and multiple keys, a master key can be a convenient and ideal way for business owners to have access to all of the locks without carrying around a large, cumbersome ring of keys.
- Electronic access control: retail businesses, offices, and warehouses can all benefit from electronic access control, e.g. keypad or key card. Many commercial locksmiths can install and maintain these systems.
- Safe & vault services: businesses that handle large volumes of cash or hold precious valuables can benefit from safe and vault services from a commercial locksmith. Includes installing, securing, opening, and relocating safes and vaults, including in hidden areas.
Why do you need a commercial locksmith?
The cornerstone of your business may be your goods and services, your hardworking employees, and your valued customers, but the cornerstone of your business security is having a robust combination of locks, controlled access, and security features to protect against unwanted theft, burglary, and intrusion.
A commercial locksmith is therefore essential for businesses that value security, because they provide a wide range of valuable services to keep your business safe and secure.
A well-protected business premises achieves two main goals: it keeps the property and your valuables (as well as you and your employees and customers) safe, and; it deters attempts at burglary, during and outside of business trading hours.
Theft and burglary in the UK
According to the Office for National Statistics - Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW), police have recorded 2,686,000 incidences of theft and 275,081 instances of burglary in 2022. Although the rates for these two criminal offences has declined sharply since 2020, they still remain as a persistent threat to business owners in the UK.
Keep in mind that this data is aggregated and the actual number of theft and burglary-related offences specifically targeting businesses is a proportion of the reported numbers given by ONS. Moreover, these are criminal offences that have been reported by the police, so unreported crime could push the number higher.
In brief, this data should be taken with a pinch of salt as pertains to business-related crime. Nevertheless, the importance of a well-protected business premises remain high. If there were only one business burglary in the whole of the UK, you wouldn’t want it to be your business that was affected!
Being locked out of your business
Perhaps the most common reason that business owners need to call a commercial locksmith is when they or their employees have lost or misplaced the keys to the property and need to regain access. Emergency lockout services are important for ensuring that you and/or your employees can be present at work in the morning or otherwise, as well as ensuring that business can resume as usual with customers entering the premises, e.g. in the case of retail or hospitality sector businesses.
Commercial locksmiths can help you regain access to your business by picking the lock and using other non-destructive methods of entry - whenever possible and feasible - as well as drilling out the lock when necessary.
Added security for you and your employees
Commercial locksmiths can improve business security by providing much more than lock and key services. Many businesses can take advantage of the added convenience and security offered by keyless entry systems, controlled and tiered access (e.g. in offices or warehouses), and with burglar alarm and CCTV installation.
By adding security features to your business, you can actively deter attempts at theft and burglary whilst also having some recourse if it does happen such as CCTV footage of the criminal to provide to police.
Benefits of hiring a commercial locksmith
Commercial locksmiths benefit business owners in a variety of ways, such as:
Keep your business safe during and outside of normal trading hours with security systems installed professionally by qualified and skilled locksmiths. Commercial locksmiths in the UK can help by installing security grilles, shutters, boarding up windows during remodelling work or closures, as well as through the installation of secure locks and deadbolts at points of entry.
For most business owners and homeowners, the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of locksmiths is their emergency lockout services. Keep in mind that skilled commercial locksmiths provide many non-emergency services designed to keep your business premises safe.
Minimal damage to property
There are many differences between a rogue trader that calls themself a “locksmith” and a real, genuine locksmith with professional skills. The first and most noticeable difference is that a rogue trader will instinctively drill through a lock and charge an obscene amount for a replacement, whereas a skilled locksmith will most often be able to pick the lock or to otherwise open the lock whilst causing little to no damage to the property.
Time is money, and every minute that you and your employees spend locked out of the business can really add up in unproductive expenses - all whilst your customers cannot enter the property either. Commercial locksmiths can respond quickly and dependably to your call and provide entry 24/7.
Full business security to keep you safe and sound
The locksmithing industry has evolved significantly over the decades, centuries, and even millennia. Old-fashioned mortice locks and skeleton keys may belong in a museum, but the general need for protection and security has always remained the same.
Businesses today can take advantage of a wide range of security measures to better protect their property and assets, including:
Retail businesses, warehouses, offices, and many other types of commercial establishment have valuables that can attract thieves and burglars. From expensive electronics to inventory such as jewellery or handbags to cash held on-premises, all of these valuables can be kept safer with an effective burglar alarm meant to deter intruders and to alert the owner and/or police authorities.
Installing and calibrating these systems must be done with caution and skill, which is why a commercial locksmith is your best bet for ensuring that your new burglar alarm system is installed properly and works as intended when needed.
CCTV cameras can also act as a deterrent to would-be intruders, but they can also provide valuable information to police authorities that can then be used to identify and catch the criminal.
The installation and setup of CCTV cameras is best done with a commercial locksmith, who can calibrate the equipment and connect it to video feed and/or electronic systems and to ensure that the CCTV direction is suitable for capturing the right angles at points of entry.
What to look for in a commercial locksmith
Looking for a commercial locksmith in the UK? Here’s what you should consider before making the call:
- Qualifications: locksmithing in the UK is completely unregulated, although there have been attempts to improve regulation and create official qualifications. This means that caveat emptor, buyer beware! Always ensure that your chosen locksmith is sufficiently qualified to carry out the task and that you are not dealing with a rogue trader.
- Trust & reputation: following on the previous point, locksmithing is still an unregulated industry in the UK despite attempts at more regulation. Trust and reputation go a long way in ensuring that you are dealing with a legitimate and skilled locksmith rather than a rogue trader. The locksmiths on Rated Locksmiths are all vetted and approved for quality and experience.
- Price: the price for locksmithing can vary quite a bit from business to business, so it is essential that you are able to obtain a free, no-obligation quote over the phone before handing over your Sterling.
- Availability: business owners that urgently need a locksmith should always choose a locksmith that operates 24/7 and can deliver dependable response times in your postcode.
- Franchise vs local small business: franchised locksmiths in the UK may appear more trustworthy than small, independent locksmiths, but you will often pay far more and the service may be on par (or even lower) than what a skilled independent locksmith can provide. On the other hand, rogue traders pose as “independent” locksmiths too, which is a big downside. Instead, choose a reliable independent locksmith that has been vetted and approved by us at Rated Locksmiths.
Frequently asked questions about commercial locksmiths
What services do commercial locksmiths offer?
Commercial locksmiths in the UK can help shop and business owners with a wide variety of services, such as lock installation, lock repair and replacement, rekeying, emergency lockouts, as well as installing panic bars, burglar alarms, and boarding up.
How do I know if I need a commercial locksmith?
If you are a business owner in the UK, you may require a commercial locksmith if your business has been burglarised or if you wish to upgrade the locks and security features on your business premises. They can also help with lost keys, lock repair and replacement, and more.
Can commercial locksmiths work with security systems?
Most commercial locksmiths in the UK are qualified and skilled enough to provide services for security systems, including burglar alarm & CCTV camera installation, access control, panic bars, safe installation and relocation, and more.
Do commercial locksmiths offer emergency services?
Most commercial locksmiths in the UK offer 24-hour emergency services, seven days a week, including on bank holidays. Losing the keys to your business or otherwise being locked out can lead to lost potential revenue, so a dependable commercial locksmith should always be available day or night.
How much do commercial locksmiths charge for their services?
Commercial locksmiths in the UK charge highly variable rates for their services. Factors that can influence the total quoted price include the type of service required, the complexity and labour requirements, where your business is located (large metro areas like London may cost marginally more), and whether you need emergency out-of-hours services or not.
How can I find a reliable commercial locksmith?
There are many ways of finding a commercial locksmith in the UK, but not all of them are reputable. Unfortunately, as locksmithing is an unregulated industry in the UK, anyone - including scammers - can pose as a locksmith. Use the Rated Locksmiths website to find genuine, trustworthy locksmiths near you.
Find a commercial locksmith near you
In need of a business locksmith in the UK? Choose an affordable, dependable, skilled locksmith near you by using Rated Locksmiths today. Get a no-obligation quote from a local commercial locksmith operating in your postcode today.